Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

WORD CHOICE

Away with "Golden Ager"
and "Senior Citizen."
I prefer to describe
myself as "seasoned."
The word carries with it not merely
an allusion to the many winters
and summers one has weathered
but also a whiff of spice, a tangy
taste that defies blandness.
"Seasoned" implies wisdom, a view
of life tested by time and circumstance.
Hearing it spoken, one hears an echo
of "reasoned," a word that suggests
calm appraisal of any situation.
There's even a hint of craftiness.
Someone seasoned is the very opposite
of gullible, won't fall for the clever sales
pitch, can spot a phony in a flash,
is increasingly unwilling to abide fools.

Don't call me "up in years,"
"over the hill," "put out to pasture."

Call me seasoned.

1 comment:

  1. I like it. I recently joined Silver Sneakers (exercise program, etc. for people on Medicare Advantage plans). I wish they had another name for it, though I'm not sure "seasoned sneakers" would work.

    ReplyDelete