Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

THE YOUNG PASTOR DOES HIS FIRST FUNERAL


At the cemetery the ground squished
under our feet. Huddled under umbrellas
the gathered stood shoulder to
shoulder in ranks like a mute choir.

I was new at burying.
I'd met the dead man only once
or twice, knew him only as
a face, a name. He was, I thought
so then, old. I said the words
that were expected, ended with "Amen."

Now what? I thought as silence
dripped. Slowly, breaking ranks,
the mourners turned and frog-stepped
around puddles to their cars.
The widow lingered. Watching her,
I supposed and later was to know, that
grief is mostly standing in the rain.

1 comment:

  1. Patricia Roop HollingerMay 16, 2014 at 4:10 PM

    Yes, grief is often a very private matter, as you surely know and as I experienced in a profound way when my son, Michael, at the age of 46 died 2009.
    I always read your articles in MESSENGER for you "say it like it is." At least my opinion. I am beginning my own writing escapades since retirement from Brook Lane.

    ReplyDelete