Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

JOB INTERVIEW

" And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks the swine did eat."
-- Luke 15:16

He was a mess when he showed up,
looked like he hadn't washed
for weeks. He smelled bad.
He said he'd do anything for a place
to sleep and something to eat.
Funny thing though, I could tell
he'd been raised proper, something
about the way he looked at me,
met my eye, held himself up straight.
I didn't ask. None of my business really.
I'd seen young fellows like him before,
fallen on hard times. Can happen
to anyone. I remember when I was
his age and I . . . but that's another
story, isn't it? Point is, I felt
kind of sorry for him. "Ain't got
much need for help right now,"
I told him. I pointed to the shed.
"But I could use someone to muck
out the stable and feed the pigs.
You interested?"

No comments:

Post a Comment