Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

IVAN


I didn’t like him. He was,
I thought, a braggart, always
going on about his big dairy
herd and how much money he’d
dished out” to buy Royal Consort,
the prize bull he was so proud of.

When I got home from school,
he’d often be at the feed mill
where my dad worked and I’d
hear him bragging. I didn’t
like the way he ordered Dad around
as if he was the boss instead
of Mr. Cassel. I wished Dad would
tell him to shut his big fat mouth
and once, after he left, said so.

I remember how Dad gave a little
smile and told me that when
I grew up I’d understand.
Rich people,” he said, “can say
anything they want to.” I said
I thought that wasn’t fair.
Yes,” he said, “but anyhow there
is no law that says the rest of us
are required to pay attention.”

No comments:

Post a Comment