Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

PENMANSHIP

To say it is a lost art is not
exactly news. It was on it way
out sixty years ago when our
teacher had us do the loops
and curls within triple track
lines. The days of fountain
pen were long past, though
our desks had inkwell
holes that now gaped to no
purpose. "It's all in the wrist,"
she told and retold us. My
scribble scrabbles proved her
wrong. I had a wrist and used it.
Didn't matter. I was never
going to be a penman. I aspired
to use a typewriter.
Years later I did. Sixty-five
words a minute.
   

2 comments:

  1. How can I explain this? I remember being told that the movement should come, not from the wrist, but from rolling the entire lower arm on the lower arm muscle that rests on the desk. I never could get the hang of it. I'm glad for the keyboard too, though I don't think I can type as fast as you can. I learned to type the "right way", but my wife who types with three fingers--two on the right hand and one on the left--can type as fast as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And have your learned to "text"? So far I've resisted--- don't even have an I Phone.

      Delete