Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

OBJECTION!

The proverbial straw that broke
the proverbial camel's back
of my bite-your-lip forbearance
was deposited last night.
It was a word spoken in a TV commercial.
The speaker, a young woman
-- 22 or 23, I'd guess --
had just popped into her mouth
a "brand new, all-natural,
delightfully refreshing"
(according to the words flashed
on the screen in neon yellow letters)
stick of chewing gum.
She turned her smiling face
to us, the viewers, and spoke
the word: AWESOME.

Okay, okay, I confess. I lost it,
shouted at the screen
my one word -- NOOOO!

Chewing gum flavor may be sweet
or minty, perhaps pleasingly
tasty, but it simply
can not be awesome.

Words have power.
Let's show some respect.


P.S. Okay, I'll admit, I am a former English teacher, but still . . .

2 comments:

  1. :-) But don't you wonder if it might be true--that "awesome" is so accessible? Found in a stick of gum? Honesty obliges me to say I'd like to try some, just in case. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bring some gum next time we get together. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete