Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A SHEPHERD RECEIVES A PERFORMANCE REVIEW

Matthew 18:12-14

Look, I hired you because
you told me you had what it takes
to be a good shepherd.
But, goddamn it,
you can’t just leave
the whole flock on its own
to go looking for a stray.
That’s irresponsible . . . stupid.
What if something spooked them?
What if that cougar showed up?
I know, I know,
that didn’t happen
and you found the runaway.

Listen, son, I know you meant well
but you got lucky.
A really good shepherd has to be
. . . well . . . practical,
know what makes for sound economics,
honor the bottom line.

Okay, you can go.
Just don’t let it happen again.

2 comments:

  1. Ken,
    Your poems are delightful, inspiring, beautiful. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding something of myself in your musings every time! Gracious admiration. Sylvia

    ReplyDelete