Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

RETROSPECTIVE

        "Were not our hearts burning within us
        while he was talking to us on the road?"
                    -- Luke 24:32

-- You know, Cleopas, I really did think there was
    something . . .  well . . . compelling . . .

Yes, yes. How when we rounded that last bend
    and the setting sun fell full on his face
    . . . an illumination . . .

-- Oh well, yes, I suppose. I was thinking more
    of the way he bent toward us as he
    spoke, almost prayerful in earnestness and . . .

Prayerful?  No, no, surely not! He exuded strength,
    authority. He told, not asked. He commanded,
    he . . .

-- How can you say that? He came to us gently,
    with questions. Don't you remember how he . . .

Ah yes! Questions. Each one designed to reveal
    the power he alone wills to wield.

-- So then, my astute friend, why did you not
    see and say who he was just then?

I almost did, I think.

-- Almost did? Amost did? You were as blind as I,
    and well you know it.

We saw him different. That's all.

-- We always have.

And maybe always will.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment